Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Feeling of gratitude


“Alhamdulillah, praise to god..it’s the only word I remembered and said out when I was told by Ayu that my appeal for the slot swapping with another candidate is finally approved…I was close to tears…”

Early in the morning, I started my day meeting the um hr officer who’s been in charge of my application for the coming studies. The offered scholarship that was initially approved for me to study in the uk suddenly turned disapproved for which I had to choose another study place, anywhere in the world except the uk. This is because the slot for um candidates for the year 2007/08 have been fully utilized for students wishing to study in the uk. For many possible reasons, these were not informed by the faculty that approved my application. After the dreadful news, I believe I did all out looking for other places, but wasn’t fortunate enough to find a replacement. It puzzled me when rejection came one after another with various strange reasons. It was even tougher when support from the faculty degraded which I later stood on my own for all obstacles faced. Those few uncertain months were depressing until one day I was informed by the hr officer that there’s a possibility of swapping the scholarship slot with another candidate(who was granted a slot to uk, but ended up choosing a university in the States). That gave me hope for then I was told to start with preparation in terms of initiating contact with the university, got myself an accommodation during my studies, bought the necessary things, settled documentation formalities with um, prepared documents for visa and an endless list of other tasks..all went on as planned except that I did not receive an offer letter from the kpt, the most important document as it is the only ticket as a proof of sponsorship to gain admission at the university.

I was left with 2 weeks before the scheduled departure, when there was still no news on the approval of the funding. The hr officer did her part by sending an appeal for the swapping to kpt where I expected to receive a likely answer from the kpt within a short period of time. But, my expectations failed when I was informed about an unexpected news..out of the blue, another candidate who was confirmed to study in Australia wanted to make a very last minute change to another university in the uk and made a direct appeal to kpt in order to be granted the uk slot. While definitely not following the correct swapping procedures, all these were done without the knowledge of the hr officer..how unethical! Matters went more unexpected when the officer from kpt disapproved my appeal thinking that I was the culprit! It was a total rejection. At that time, it seemed that I had no hope for a scholarship for which uk was the only choice in hands. And at that time also, I really felt like giving up..after so much of trials I had faced just for an honest intention to further my studies. But, a strong sense of motivation bloomed in me after listening to an advice from my other half which left a remarkable effect that echoes in my mind until now.

In determination to explain the actual situation, a lot was done to reach the kpt officer who had verbally rejected my appeal. Telephone calls were of no use as they were never answered, but thank god the officer responded to emails once in a while. Nevertheless, the matter was never resolved while time was running out. Today, I decided to make a visit to kpt in the hope to get a definite answer to my case. The kpt officer in charge was away for a course but managed to speak to the assistant, Ayu. Although we had not met before, Ayu knew me through my case from the very beginning, felt sorry for what had happened and was indeed very cooperative in helping me to settle the matter. After I made a concise explanation, Ayu made a call to the particular officer and once again I was lucky enough that he answered as according to Ayu, he rarely accepts calls from the office whenever away on course. After a while, Ayu came by with the news… Alhamdulillah, praise to god..it’s the only word I remembered and said out when I was told by Ayu that my appeal for the slot swapping with another candidate is finally approved…I was close to tears to know that at long last, the battle and worries have ended with a bright hope for the future. Ayu also told me that I am considered very very lucky to get this opportunity. I was requested to wait and less than 15 minutes, all the necessary documents were already in my hands with a comprehensive explanation of what needs to be done. I was further told that kpt approved my request to register in the coming semester that will commence early next year. And that means I could delay the current scheduled departure date to settle these matters. I just don’t know how to thank everyone who helped..I would have honoured each person the status of a king or queen to these peeps, if I’d ever have the power….but I will never have such authority.

After a short chat with Ayu, I excused myself and walked to the car which had been parked illegally(but there were many cars parked in that area). I was rushing my way to a nearby restaurant to meet tomet for lunch when I realized on the windscreen that my car had been summoned by the police. It was the first I told my other half when we met and this was his response… “for every happy moment, life balances itself with slight misery”..another remarkable advice I received ..and when I ponder about it, the exact opposite applies more often in reality…

Thank you Pn Ermiza for the struggle to ensure the consent of this scholarship.
Thank you En Husin for the considerate approval.
Thank you Ayu for being the middle person to relay the message & for the preparation of the documents.
Thank you Tomet for the noteworthy advices that made me think.
Thank you Policeman for leaving a summon as I have now learned to be extra-cautious when parking a vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment