Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Attitude of dealing

My face is still swelling with inner mouth feeling sore as a result of the previous dental surgery. How I wish I could just put this pain aside, but it’s ok lah! After all..when else would I experience(a.k.a. suffer!) the after surgery effects. (the best line I could think to make myself feel better..)

What did I do today? Wasn’t really a productive day for me..thought that waking up early would somehow lead me to a number of chores settled, but ended up not(exactly) doing anything..I was supposed to submit the visa application today, a critical task needed to be done as I’m left approximately 3 weeks before departure. However, it couldn’t be settled due to a delay on receiving the amended sponsorship letter from the human resource office.The person in charge could have the letter ready by yesterday and if so, the process wouldn’t come to a delay. But this is life..things sometimes don’t normally flow as planned. Dealing with ppl can also, at times be very challenging, even more taxing when it comes to support staffs. I’m not highlighting all support staffs can’t work well..that isn’t my point on this view. In fact, I have lost count on the numbers of easy-to-deal-with support staffs within various organizations and these ppl are tremendously helpful with any request made. Keep it up the excellent group!

Back to my story, I was supposed to be given a sponsorship letter by the university’s HR for the submission with visa. The first was written with lack of information, so I requested for another from the officer I used to deal with. My request and urgency was fully understood and granted. Being a very busy officer and having to attend an entire day meeting, I was told to directly deal with the support staff just to make a few amendments to get it ready and signed by other officer on behalf of the one I dealt. However, the staff’s lack of sensitivity to even reach the slightest tolerance made the simple task a huge matter to be solved. The staff whom I have met infinitely(in other words, knows me), acted cold on my request though fully aware of the urgency. Perhaps this is a norm due to my status of a student and being young, a sign to show who’s the boss? – when the actual boss(officer) isn’t around…sad case.. It was no use of me arguing as the staff was the only person who could settle my asking. Thing’s would have been unsettled if I were to ‘participate in the play’. Although, initially, completely reluctant, my diplomacy worked moderately when I somehow managed to persuade that staff but was left waiting for 5 hours to finally get the letter ready…by then, the visa centre was already closed where I had to once again postpone the submission.

It would have made things so much easier and faster to settle if there was sufficient sense of awareness on certain matters, registered in their minds. How do we change this mindset/attitude? Well, my answer would be, we can’t… the person will have to realize and change the way of thinking themselves. It wouldn’t involve a single cent nor would it be required payment by others for such effort, but it pays more than what money can buy for the appreciation of the other person served in whatever scenario it may be. I feel it is worth for all of us to ponder about this as we meet people to satisfy constant needs everyday.



No comments:

Post a Comment